Charlie Vine   Building Regulations

A Building Regulations application submission will be required before proceeding with most construction work on site, some minor works are exempt.

Building regulations are statutory instruments that seek to ensure that the policies set out in the relevant legislation are carried out. Building Regulations Approval is required for most building work in the UK, and Regulations that apply across England and Wales are set out in the Building Act 1984.

There are currently 14 parts (sections) to the building regulations and each is accompanied by an Approved Document. The Approved Documents usually take the form of stating the legislation first and then providing a number of means which are deemed to satisfy the Regulations.

The Building Regulations do not aim to stifle innovation. Compliance with the legislation is what is ultimately required and there are many ways of complying, in addition to just using the ways set out in the 'deemed to satisfy' provisions within each of the Approved Documents.

Below is a list of the Approved documents and compliance:-

     - Part A - Structure
     - Part B - Fire safety
     - Part C - Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture
     - Part D - Toxic substances
     - Part E - Resistance to the passage of sound
     - Part F - Ventilation
     - Part G - Sanitation & Hygiene & Water Efficiency
     - Part H - Drainage and waste disposal
     - Part J - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
     - Part K - Protection from falling, collision and impact
     - Part L - Conservation of fuel and power
     - Part M - Access to and use of Buildings
     - Part N - Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning
     - Part P - Electrical safety - Dwellings

Applications can be submitted to a Local Authority Building Control Service or to a Private inspector, both will be a qualified Building Surveyor who can provide you with a Decision Notice and Building Regulation Compliance Certificate at the end of Build.

Applications are required for: new build, property extensions and also work of a minor nature – particularly: installation of fittings, new heating appliances and systems, alteration of a building’s structure, changing the use of a building, or building work affecting fire safety. In some instances, repair work to buildings will also require a Building Control application. Some work is exempt from Building Regulations but may require approval under other legislation, such as an application to the Planning Service. The best way to check that you are doing the right thing is to contact Building Control Services before starting your project. Alternatively you can contact us at the beginning for advice which will help you avoid problems further down the line.

Below is an example of typical application fees:- building-regulations-fees

Charlie Vine - May 2015